Friday, August 6, 2010

That Blessed time of the week again!


Preparing for Shabbat is truly something I REALLY look forward to :o) The whole day is filled with the expectancy of the rest to come...... . I love the smells that waft from our kitchen and fill our home on this day of preparation...mmmmm.....Rachel's challa, and usually a dish that I would not normally prepare any other time of the week. I love the way all of this sets the day apart from all the others in the week and makes this time special and something to look forward to. I love that time just before sunset when the candles are lit, and  quietness seems to descend, and the security of being in YHWH's presence is tangible.
Some preparation days do not go too smoothly, at the end of which  I feel as though I am falling over my feet entering into our rest :o), but then we have days like today....where everything just flows beautifully. When our work in the kitchen seems to be so well choreographed and orchestrated and we have time........time to sit down and enjoy a cup of tea, and to write a post on my blog!! Time.....I hear the sound of the sewing maching in the background with Rachel busy with another project. Oh how I love days like this!!!
On this day where time seems to be strolling along I thought  I would share one of our Shabbat regulars with all of my readers. It is one of our favourites, and a truly 'South African' dish :o).....and just to make it a little more 'fun' and interesting I thought I would challenge my beautiful sisters to making this dish.......you can let me know how it turns out and the first reader to let me know will be receiving a wonderful box of real South African 'Rooibos tea'. This is a caffeine free tea highly beneficial to ones health, and a tea that we absolutely love. It is best enjoyed with some honey and no milk. Now for the recipe....

Milk Tart

Ingredients:

Pie Crust:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 egg
2 cups cake flour sifted
pinch of salt

Soften butter, add castor sugar and 1 egg, pinch of salt and 2 cups sifted flour and mix well into a pastry. Butter a pie dish and divide mixture in two (as this makes two pies). Press pastry into pie dishes bottom and sides. Place in an oven for approx. 10 minutes (until sides are slightly golden brown) and remove. Place to one side.

Filling:

4 cups of full cream milk
1 tbsn butter
1 cup castor sugar
2 eggs
3 tbsn corn starch
3 tbsn cake flour
1 tspn vanilla essence

In a bowl place the castor sugar and add 2 eggs and 1 tspn vanilla essence, mix well, then add the three tbsn cake flour, mix well, lastly add the 3 tbsn corn starch and mix well.....put one side.
In a saucepan melt the butter and then add the 4 cups of milk and slowly bring to just before boiling point. Remove from heat and slowly add the flour, corn starch mixture stirring continuously. Place back onto a low heat and continue stirring, the mixture will thicken. When it is the texture of a nice thick custard, you can remove and pour into pie crusts. Allow to cool, and lastly add a sprinkling of cinnamon.

I really hope that you will enjoy this pie as much as we do! Maybe you have a recipe of your favourite pie that you would like to share with me? (Lina......I have my eye on your cherry pie recipe!!)

I pray that this Shabbat will be wonderful for all of us, that we will come to understand that much more of this deep rest that YHWH has given to us by His grace, and that much more of His love!!

Benefits of Rooibos Tea


Shabbat Shalom!!


5 comments:

Gavriella said...

LOVE milk tart. It's a pity i can't have it although i make my own version it doesn't taste the same as the real stuff.

BTW, you forgot to mention how wonderful my challah tastes (JK)!!!

Love ya

R.xoxo

Anonymous said...

Shoshana, taking a few minutes here between preparing for Shabbat. I can totally relate. We are preparing not only for Shabbat but for hubby to come home since he works out of town right now. We are so excited like you mentioned 'for this day of rest'. We are praising Abba while working and listening to praise music so we can dance while working. Many blessings to you and your family Shoshana!

In Messiah
Carmen

p.s. I would love to try your milk tart! sounds wonderful.

Rose said...

I love Prep. Day! It's such an exciting day, as we anticipate YHWH's set-apart Shabbat.

I will be making challah, and who knows what else!

Mmm...milk tart. I've never had it, but it does look tasty!

Blessings to you and your family!

Shabbat Shalom,
Lina

Sigalit Chana said...

Oh, the milk tart sounds delicious! Thank you for the recipe :D

Shabbat Shalom~
Loni

Andi said...

I haven't had milk tart either....and today is one of those "no so smooth" days...LOL...I am sooooo wanting the Sabbath to come.... ;0)